August 20, 2023

The Shadow Lines

A book by Amitav Ghosh. 

I picked up this book as I like reading post colonial write up (fusion of history and friction) and not much to my surprise, it got me hooked till the end. The shadow line started in 1947 with concept of War, Borders and Boundaries to divide great nation into three pieces. So called partition. Everything is so well connected to each other, the lives of the people, the countries and everything else too. The way wars and riots are described, perceived differently by the people, the pain of such situation, how life changes entirely due to loss of a loved one etc. were felt happening in front of my eyes while reading. It kept me so engaged and wanting to continue reading to know what comes next.

After reading, it seems that the character Tridib is going to remain in my mind for few months if not years. 

Today, we live into globalized world where border lines separating two nations are only shadow lines. Amitav Ghosh does it very well being Indian by birth and global in his vision. 

The book won two prestigious Indian prizes i.e. the Sahitya Akademi Award and the Ananda Puraskar.

No comments:

Post a Comment