February 16, 2011

Lessons Learned: Working Across Language Barriers

It's been nearly five months in Haiti, and navigating a new language landscape has been a valuable learning experience. Most of my colleagues speak Haitian Creole or French, with some speaking Spanish and a few English. This immersion has pushed me to get comfortable working in situations where I'm not the language leader. Here are some key principles I've developed:

1. Building Rapport: Acceptance Through Social Cues

Even before language skills, social and cultural acceptance is crucial. This means paying attention to nonverbal cues, gestures, and overall communication style to build rapport with colleagues.

2. Basic Goes a Long Way: Embracing Local Phrases

Even if everyone speaks English, learning basic greetings and common phrases demonstrates respect for the local language and culture. I recently fell short on this, so I'm committing to daily language study. It's a public promise – hold me accountable! Even if I never use Haitian Creole again, I want to go beyond "merci" (French/Creole) or "thank you" in English.

3. Respecting the Flow: When Translation Takes Over

If I'm the only non-native speaker in a meeting and the conversation switches to the local language, I let it flow. It's okay if they can solve the problem without me momentarily. However, I'll interject later to ensure I'm caught up.

4. Active Listening Beyond Words: Engaging Through a Translator

When working with a translator, actively listen to the other person, even if you don't understand them until the translation comes through. Be mindful of your speaking style – I know I can be impatient and talk fast! Speak in short chunks to allow for smooth translation.

5. Technology as a Bridge: Using Online Translators Strategically

Utilize online translators like Google Translate or Imtranslator for emails and basic communication. This helps grasp the general meaning of text. If something seems crucial (less than 10% of the time!), consider a professional human translator for accuracy.

6. Technical Expertise Over Translation: Prioritizing Skills

While translators are valuable assets, I often find it more efficient to work with someone who has the technical skills I need, even if their English isn't perfect. This avoids the extra step of training a translator on technical concepts.

Call to Action:

I'd love to hear from others! What additional principles have you found helpful when working across language barriers? Share your experiences in the comments below!

1 comment: