February 18, 2011

Travel: From One Earthquake to Another... Part 5

Greetings everyone!

Today marks 150 days since I arrived in Haiti. To celebrate this milestone, I treated my friends to a delicious and inexpensive meal of our favorite street food – rice and curry. We gathered at the office and enjoyed the meal together.

Yesterday, I realized that I've been pushing myself too hard by taking on too many responsibilities. I've been assisting other organizations, working on the cholera outbreak, and now I'm fully immersed in the earthquake relief efforts. During these 150 days, I haven't taken a single day off. I've even worked on weekends and holidays. This has led to a significant amount of physical and mental exhaustion.

Therefore, I've decided to return home as soon as possible. I need some rest, proper meals, time to play with my kids, and a chance to experience a normal routine for a while.

To put this plan into action, I informed my superiors about my decision, explaining that 150 days without a break is a long time. Many of them agreed with my reasoning, and now I'm just a few days away from heading home. While some might not be happy about my departure, I'm glad I'm making this decision in a timely manner.

It's important to remember that every task should be undertaken within our physical and mental capabilities. Overexertion can lead to negative consequences, affecting our health, mental well-being, work performance, and relationships. I'm relieved that I've made this decision.

I expect to be home within 15-20 days. I'll be leaving Haiti in about a week, followed by a week in Britain, and then finally home. And yes, the first thing I'll do upon returning home is quench my thirst with a glass of water! Life is wonderful indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment